Thursday, January 29, 2009

Retardin alts..and Opness Meet+ Eclipse chatter (short)

A little offtopic from the normal Moonkin blogness I do, but I was so tickled to death about this, I had to talk about it.

I decided to transfer my paladin over to the new server since I was leveling Jcing. Yeah..shes a miner as well as a Jc'er (double dailies! More dragonseyes! WOOT!) and well, I decided to hit up Wintergrasp at level 70 to try and mine up what I could. I knew I was going to die no matter what. As long as I got a few nodes, I didn't really care.

Well, this is my paladin. I ghetto spec'd her so to speak a full 61 without picking up Imp Might. Real Ret Paladins are probably laughing at me or wanting to bust my skull in. Probably both. Her gear isn't that good either, especially since I was originally holy, then prot on her back in TBC.

Anyway, heres the story. I go to hit up Wintergrasp and the battle starts. Great..now alliance will be around..right? Amazingly I didn't really get bothered but by this one NE Warrior. He had full PVP gear on and he seemed to know what he was doing.

Of course, I had tenacity by 7 but that made us even, and I was missing half the time with little to no hit against a level 80. Yet it was amazing. He came at me and we fought it out. Being the nub ret paladin I am, I did what all paladins do when I got half health..I bubbled. 

This warrior seemed to me like he knew what he was doing because he tried his best to get out of melee range, even tried to get away from me enough to intercept me. However, I'm not that much of a pvp nub and kept within distance of him.

It was a good 5 minute battle. Healing myself every second I got with my free heal proc off Divine Storm. In the end..he got whooped by a level 70 in terribad gear. After laughing about it a bit, I ran off to hide..why? There was a large group of alliance coming after me now (Yeah, he brought friends)

Needless to say, We lost WG that time but I got out of there with 5 stacks of Saronite :D


Now for the Moonkin part of this blog. A topic arose on the Moonkin Repository questioning which Eclipse proc is better. Solar or Lunar?

Solar increases your wrath damage (which with Imp IS, 2pc, and Glyph is very awesome)
Lunar increases your chance to crit with starfire

Looking at these, first thing for those who may be new to moonkining might think that Solar is the way to go. This is where we bring up the points.

Solar requires wrath spam. The problem with that is, If you have any haste..any whatsoever or are spec'd into Nature's Grace (0.5 second taken off your next cast) then you will be clipping the Global Cooldown. That isn't a good thing. Wrath also doesn't scale that well on its own with spelldamage. Also, wrath can be very mana inefficent thus making you require replenishers as well as mana regen talents. 

Starfire scales with its spelldamage and works great with haste. It works point for point with haste. It also cannot clip the Global Cooldown. Its also very mana effiecent. (short and sweet, I know)

Even though with all the buffs to Wrath you can get, Starfire still pulls ahead. Though we are always testing this theory as theorycrafters so this could change down the road. You never know!

Responses: I pretty much stand corrected, while Badegg is correct and I should have worded myself better.

Wrath does scale very well with spell power, but its scaling with haste and crit is awkward due to GCD clipping, the Lunar eclipse does minimize the amount this happens. But in any case the spellpower coefficient itself of Wrath is actually a bit better than Starfire, although not enough to make the Solar eclipse better.
--Badeggplant

He is correct. Wrath does scale  but due to the gcd clipping, its a pain in the arse to even try and use.  Thank you for the correction. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wrath does scale very well with spell power, but its scaling with haste and crit is awkward due to GCD clipping, the Lunar eclipse does minimize the amount this happens. But in any case the spellpower coefficient itself of Wrath is actually a bit better than Starfire, although not enough to make the Solar eclipse better.

-Badeggplant

Unknown said...

Imo mana is no longer an issue during raids, so wrath is the supperior weapon of choice for DPS. Even with clipping and lag and any other excuse I've seen from boomkins preffering SF rotation vs wrath rotations. I have done every combo and talent suggested, and expierimented with my own. Wrath wins hands down everytime.